Checklist for IDFA Forum entry
An overview of all information you will need to provide when filling out the IDFA Forum entry form.
To complete the entry form in your MyIDFA account, you will need the following information – please note that this information is mandatory and the entry form cannot be submitted without filling in these details. All information must be provided in English.
The selection procedure consists of three phases: general entry, preselection and final selection. There are separate entry forms for each step in this process.
Project submissions are now closed.
Phase 1: Entry
To fill out the entry form for this phase, the following information is required:
- Project (working) title
- Logline (max. 50 words). A few sentences that capture the essence of your film
- Synopsis (max. 400 words). A clear and simple description of your story line. What is it about?
- Category (choose between public pitch (Central/Round Table) or Rough Cut Project)
- Genre (choose from a list of options)
- Project description (max. 900 words). A project description can include background information, details about protagonists, information about access to subjects and locations, visual approach, director’s statement, etc.
- Arts & Culture description/Cross Media description (if applicable – max. 250 words)
- Visual Material: Vimeo link to a trailer, rough cut or other sample material:
- For a public pitch application: preferably a trailer (max. 3 min), or a sample of previous work (max. 10 min) in case you don't have a trailer yet, or selected scenes in case you are in production (max. 10 min)
- For a Cross Media application: sample material; a trailer or teaser clip to showcase the general look of your project.This clip doesn't necessarily need to use moving images in the way a linear documentary project would
- For a Rough Cut application: rough cut material (minimum 20 min. for application). If you are selected you must deliver the full rough cut by Friday, October 19, 2018; we advise to keep the length of the rough cut as condensed as possible.
- Single film or series.
- Anticipated length.
- Formats (original format and planned screening format).
- Production schedule, including (planned) start of production, (planned) end of production, (planned) release date.
- Current status of production.
- Other submissions: any other training program/pitching event where this project was presented (year, place/event, program, project title).
- Previous applications to the IDFA Forum with this project, if applicable (year, project title).
- Previous applications to the IDFA Bertha Fund with this project, if applicable (year, project title).
- Previous applications to the IDFAcademy Summer School with this project, if applicable (year, project title)
- Total amount of budget, financing in place and amount still required.
- Finance Plan for production and post-production: Here you can fill out the financing required, so the presumed investments (company, amount) for your project (max. 250 words).
- Please note: 'In kind' contributions do not count as financing.
- You will need to provide names, contact details, as well as previous credits (max. 3 projects) for the following persons involved: Producer, Co-producer (if applicable), Director(s), Scriptwriter, Editor, Distributor / Sales agent.
- A short biography of the director(s) and information about the producer(s)/production company (max. 350 words). For a cross media project please also provide names and country of the Web Designer, Web Developer and the Team Members.
Phase 2: Preselection
All projects which make it through the preselection for IDFA Forum will be asked to fill out a second form, which is available on September 7 and the deadline for submitting is September 11. For Crossmedia and Arts&Culture projects the form is the available on August 30 and the deadline for submitting is September 4. To fill out the entry form for this phase, the following information is required:
- You will need to provide budget details for the following categories (it is mandatory to fill in at least one budget post per category): Development / Pre-Production, Production, Post-production. You can find a template in this Excel file, which is also provided in the entry form.
- Please fill out as many fields as possible and leave the fields you do not use blank. You can rename the line items on the budget as you choose.
- All amounts need to be filled out in Euros.
- The template Excel file has two sheets.The second sheet allows you to provide a finance plan (differentiating between requested, confirmed and still required finance). You can provide information about Own Investment (by your own (co)production company, but not investments from your family or other persons), but this will not be counted it as 'financing in place'.
- Confirmed financing in place provided by broadcasters, film institutions or other financiers: You have to specify the investor and provide a contact person and contact details. It may seem like you are asked to do this twice, but for us it is important that you fill out the credit details of all confirmed financing.
- You need to provide letters of commitment from of all types of financing. Letters of commitment from broadcasters and financiers need to be in English and signed.
- 'In kind' contributions do not count as financing.
- Two stills of the project. Format: JPG. Resolution: 300 DPI. Size: 21cm x 14.8 cm / 5.8 x 8.3 inches (A5). Orientation: Landscape. Please do not upload other formats than .JPG because we cannot process these.
- Two passport-size photos of the pitch team: the director and the producer(s). Additional photos of co-director and co-producer. Format: JPG. Resolution: 300 DPI. Size: 2.5 x3.5 cm; 1 x 1.4 inches (minimum). Orientation: Portrait.
- For Cross Media Projects: You will need to upload a sample of your presentation/pitch.
Phase 3: Upon selection
To optimally present the selected projects, their teams will be asked to fill out a third form, which will be available for two days only: October 7 and 8. To fill out the entry form for this phase, the following information is required:
- Final project details, to be used in the printed Forum catalogue and IDFA website:
- Logline (max. 30 words).
- Synopsis (max. 400 words).
- Project description (max. 900 words).
- Biography of the director(s) and information about the producer(s)/production company (max. 350 words).
- Information about your pitch team and visual materials.
At the end of this form you will be asked to pay the applicable participation fee, which are detailed in our Regulations.