FAQ: Attending the festival
- I attended IDFA last year and I am already in your system. What is the procedure for me this year?
- Which IDFA Pass is best for me?
- How long does it take to receive a confirmation regarding my accreditation application?
- What are the requirements for accreditation?
- I took part in IDFAcademy before. Can I apply again?
- Can I get a pass for specific dates in stead of the entire festival?
- Can I transfer my pass to someone else?
- I missed the deadline for accreditation. Can I still apply?
- I can't log in to my MyIDFA account and/or I have a new email account.
- Is my accreditation also valid for the DocLab conference?
- How long does it take to receive the invoice from IDFA?
- Which payment methods are available?
- What is the cancellation procedure?
- How does VAT refunding work?
- I am an invited guest of IDFA's. Is it possible to bring someone with me?
- I am not involved in the film business but I want to see the films. Can I buy regular tickets to the films? Are they sold in advance or can I purchase them on the day of the festival?
- What are the festival locations?
- Do you offer transportation from Schiphol Airport to my hotel?
- Can you recommend hotels close to the festival area?
- Is it possible to see an overview of all the guests who will attend IDFA this year?
- Can I rent a private room for screenings during the festival?
Accreditation and Passes
1. I attended IDFA last year and I am already in your system. What is the procedure for me this year?
Even if you have attended the festival previously, every guest must complete an accreditation form. Regular guests were used to the fact that we had a new accreditation already partly filled out ready for you, but with our promising new database that isn’t possible (for this year). You can log in with the same username and password as last year. Please note that everybody has to fill in a company profile or biography which will be published at the IDFA website.
2. Which IDFA Pass is best for me?
We have several kinds of passes, and the best pass for you depends on what your main focus is. Every pass offers different benefits at the festival. For more information on passes, detailed information and pricing, please check our Accreditation Rules & Regulations.
3. How long does it take to receive a confirmation regarding my accreditation application?
The Industry Office does its best to process the applications as soon as possible. Your application will be processed in one to three weeks, depending on time of accreditation and the pass you want to obtain. As soon as the various industry departments have processed your application, you will receive an e-mail from the Guest Services department.
4. What are the requirements for accreditation?
If you are a documentary professional, you are eligible to buy a pass. You can read detailed information on our website, and you will find the accreditation form on your MyIDFA page. After you have submitted your accreditation form, the Industry Office will process your application and will contact you about whether the pass you applied for will be granted.
5. I took part in IDFAcademy before. Can I apply again?
No, you can only take part in IDFAcademy once.
6. Can I get a pass for only specific dates and not for the entire festival?
No. A pass is valid for the entire festival.
7. Can I transfer my pass to someone else?
Unfortunately you cannot transfer your pass to someone else. If you need to cancel, please contact the IDFA Guest Services department as soon as possible. It is only possible to cancel in writing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. I missed the deadline for accreditation. Can I still apply?
You can still apply after the deadline, but registration after the deadline means that processing your forms may take longer. There may also be a delay in getting your name on the online Guest List. Please note that we have a different price for the Festival and Festival Light pass after the deadline.
9. I can’t log in to my MyIDFA account and/or I have a new email account
Please use the ‘forgot your password?’ link to receive a reset email. With a new email address, please log in with the old credentials on your MyIDFA and change the email address in your account, so no history is lost. With a new email address and you forgot your password please send an email to email@example.com to have your password reset manually. This also prevents that history is lost.
10. Is my accreditation also valid for the DocLab conference?
Unfortunately not. Tickets at €37.50 go on sale on November 3rd with all other program sections. Guests with a Festival accreditation can obtain tickets at a discount price of €27.50.
11. How long does it take to receive the invoice from IDFA?
You will receive the invoice as soon as your application is approved. Your application will be processed in one to three weeks, depending on time of accreditation and the pass you want to obtain.
12. Which payment methods are available?
IDFA uses a PayPal payment module, but you don’t have to have a PayPal account to proceed with the payment. You can pay your invoice by credit card or your PayPal account. Contact IDFA Guest Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) if these payment methods don’t work for you. For cancellations after October 31 we hold a no refund policy.
13. What is the cancellation procedure?
If you need to cancel, please contact the IDFA Guest Services department as soon as possible. It is only possible to cancel in writing: email@example.com.
14. How does VAT refunding work?
IDFA Festival, IDFA Festival Light, IDFA Doclab Academy and IDFAcademy passes are subject to 6% Dutch VAT. IDFA Forum Passes and Docs for Sale Passes are subject to 21% Dutch VAT. Entrepreneurs can submit a claim for refund of the VAT they have payed if:
- they are not required to file a VAT return in the Netherlands
- the Dutch VAT has been charged to them
- the amount of VAT for which they claim refund is at least €50 per calendar year
Practical Information and Other
15. I am an invited guest of IDFA's. Is it possible to bring someone with me?
You can bring a guest, but please be aware that your guest also needs to apply for a pass if he or she wants to attend any industry events(see also question 14).
16. Can I buy a pass if I am not involved in the film business?
Our Industry passes are only available for film professionals. Of course you are welcome to attend any audience events at the festival. Depending on the amount of films you want to see, a Discount pass might be a good idea.
17. What are the festival locations?
Most screenings as well as the various Industry Events are held within walking distance of Muntplein. An overview of all festival venues is available on the website.
18. Do you offer transportation from Schiphol Airport to my hotel?
No, we don’t offer transportation, but trains go frequently from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam Central Station, from which the various IDFA locations around Muntplein can be reached in approximately 10 minutes by tram.
19. Can you recommend hotels close to the festival area?
IDFA doesn't have a discount code for hotels. When selecting a hotel, choose one close to Muntplein, near the Nieuwe Doelenstraat and the Vijzelstraat and central in IDFA's festival area. If you reserve your room through Booking.com using this link, a portion of the proceeds will benefit the IDFA Bertha Fund.
20. Is it possible to see an overview of all the guests who will attend IDFA this year?
Our Guest List will be online at the end of September. This gives an overview of guests and their details. If you are an accredited guest and login with your MyIDFA more details (contactdetails & company profile or biography) will be available.
21. Can I rent a private room for screenings during the festival?
Yes, you can rent a room for private screenings. Please contact Guest Services for more information.