DocLab Academy is an international program for new talent in the field of documentary storytelling and interactive media. This five-day program takes place from November 16 to 20 at De Brakke Grond and is part of the International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam (IDFA).
Digital technology has become increasingly entangled with everyday reality. The consequences are far-reaching and can at times be alarming, but it has also lead to a new era of artistic innovation in non-fiction storytelling and art across multiple disciplines.
What artistic opportunities do new technologies such as virtual reality, artificial intelligence and interactive media have to offer? How do you tell an interactive story? How do successful digital pioneers use the endless opportunities of the internet without getting lost in its countless possibilities? And how do you finance interactive documentaries, find the right partners and reach your audience?
What can you expect?
The DocLab Academy program addresses a variety of challenges and opportunities through exclusive workshops on virtual reality and interactive storytelling by international new media pioneers. Portfolio reviews and one-on-one meetings offer insights into more specific questions. There is also plenty of time to network and reflect on each other’s work. Participants also have access to relevant parts of IDFA’s other industry activities, a.o. IDFAcademy workshops and new media pitches at the Crossmedia Forum. Alongside the IDFA DocLab program, which includes Live Cinema Events and the Interactive Conference, the complete IDFA program is also open to DocLab Academy participants.
Who can participate
DocLab Academy can facilitate 20 (documentary) makers and new media professionals, ½ from The Netherlands & Flanders and ½ from the rest of the world.
What we offer
- Exclusive masterclasses & workshops
- Portfolio reviews & one-on-one meetings
- Exclusive context of the DocLab Exhibition with selected artists
- Studio visits
- Attendance of the IDFA Crossmedia Forum, the co-production and co-financing market for innovative non-linear projects
- IDFA DocLab Interactive Conference
- IDFA DocLab Live Cinema Events
- Networking opportunities
- Access to selected parts of the IDFAcademy program
- Access to IDFA Festival film screenings and industry events
How to apply
Fill out the online DocLab Academy Accreditation form via MyIDFA. Please note that 2018 applications are now closed.
Applications are in English and consist of:
- Contact details
- Short biography (max. 50 words)
- Motivation (max. 100 words)
- Description of your current or most recent new media project (max. 100 words), including a link to visuals
- Learning goals (max. 50 words)
- Links to three digital or interactive projects that inspire you
- Link to online portfolio
- Profile picture
The application deadline is September 1 at 23:59 CET. Selection will be made by an external committee and the participants are announced early October. DocLab Academy takes place 16-20 November in Amsterdam. If selected, additional information will be requested.
Costs: Participating in DocLab Academy 2018 costs €230,-.
The online application form for DocLab Academy is now closed.
DocLab Academy is an initiative of IDFA’s new media program DocLab and Flemish Arts Center De Brakke Grond. The program is supported by The Flanders Audiovisual Fund (VAF) and The Netherlands Film Fund.