The Top 10 program compiled by Ukrainian director Sergei Loznitsa for IDFA 2016 is travelling to New York. The Metrograph theatre will be screening Loznitsa's selection on July 27-31.
The program includes several classic films which are rarely shown outside of the former USSR, as well as Loznitsa's own The Event and a program of three of his shorts.
“In 2016, I was asked by IDFA film festival in Amsterdam to compile a program of ‘top 10’ films", Loznitsa says. "I thought that this would be a brilliant opportunity to include in the selection some films that are virtually unknown outside of the former USSR and even films that have never been screened abroad, and which are very dear to me. My idea was to show the works of the directors whose style and manner are close to mine, and also some films which have – at different moments of my life and in different ways – left a strong impression on me.”
Loznitsa's Top 10:
- 13 Days. Industrial Party Process (Yakov Poselsky)
- Conscience (Vladimir Denisenko)
- I dimenticati (Vittorio De Seta)
- Facing the Judgement of History (Fridrikh Ermler)
- From the East (Chantal Akerman)
- I Don't Know (Krzysztof Kieslowski)
- Koma (Nijole Adomenaite, Boris Gorlov)
- A Little Monastery in Tuscany (Otar Iosseliani)
- Lullaby (Dziga Vertov)
- The War Game (Peter Watkins)