FAQ: IDFA general
Frequently Asked Questions about visiting IDFA.
- How do I get the program magazine?
- When do ticket sales start?
- How can I become a Friend of IDFA?
- Which films are screening in the Best of IDFA program?
- Where can I pick up my tickets?
- How does the Discount Pass (Voordeelpas) work?
- I have an Amsterdam city pass ("stadspas")/Cultural Youth Pass ("CJP")/student pass. How can I buy tickets at the discounted rate?
- Are the films subtitled in Dutch or English?
- I have placed an order but I can't seem to finish it.
1. How do I get the program magazine? On Thursday, November 7, the program magazine is available inside de Volkskrant. From this date onward, you can also pick it up free of charge at the various festival theaters (such as Pathé de Munt, Pathé Tuschinski, and De Brakke Grond) and at various nightlife locations in Amsterdam. Friends of IDFA will receive the program magazine on November 2 by mail.
2. When do ticket sales start? The regular online ticket sales start on Thursday, November 7 at 9:00 am. Friends of IDFA will have access to an exclusive online pre-sale starting at 12:00 pm on November 4. In October, some performances will also be on sale, such as The Best of IDFA. For more information, see Ticket Info.
3. How can I become a Friend of IDFA? You can become a Friend of IDFA starting at just €3 per month. On our website you will find a form that allows us to withdraw a monthly amount from your account. It's also possible to become a Friend by transferring a single amount each year. For further information, see Vrienden van IDFA (in Dutch).
4. Which films are screening in the Best of IDFA: Audience Favorites program? This program shows the audience favorites in the last weekend of the festival. On Thursday, November 28, the films screening at the Best of IDFA be announced.
5. Where can I pick up my tickets? You will receive the tickets by e-mail and can print them out yourself. Tickets can also be collected at the festival box offices in Pathé de Munt, Pathé Tuschinski Arthouse, EYE, De Brakke Grond, Het Ketelhuis, De Kleine Komedie, De Balie, Carré, Podium Mozaïek, and Tolhuistuin.
6. How does the Discount Pass work? The Discount Pass (Voordeelpas) is the personal admission ticket that allows you to buy film tickets at a discounted rate. You will earn back the price of purchase of the Discount Pass if you buy tickets to five screenings. Read more about the Discount Pass.
7. I have an Amsterdam city pass ("stadspas")/Cultural Youth Pass ("CJP")/student pass. How can I buy tickets at the discounted rate? The CJP card, Student Pass, and City Pass allow you to purchase discounted tickets both online and at box offices. If you buy tickets online with a student or city card, you will receive a proof of purchase by email. Take your proof of purchase to the ticket office where you will receive your tickets upon presentation of your pass. Bought your tickets with a CJP card? Then you will receive an e-ticket with which you can go directly to the hall.
8. Are the films Dutch or English subtitled? IDFA is an international festival; the official language is English. English-language films are usually not subtitled. Films in a language other than English are subtitled in English. An exception to this is the IDFA Special IDFA Junior, which screens all films in spoken or subtitled Dutch.
9. I placed an order but I can't seem to finish it. Your order has to be placed and processed withing 45 minutes. In that period of time, do not close your browser.