IDFAcademy Summer School
Coaching and tutoring for emerging film talent
Monday July 2 - Saturday July 7
The IDFAcademy Summer School offers first- or second-time directors the opportunity to meet and work with highly esteemed filmmakers and film professionals who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with emerging film talent.
It is a project-driven program. Participants work on their film project in the script or editing phase. Participants in Script Development work on the narrative in individual sessions. Tutors help Editing Consultancy participants to perfect their rough cut in the editing suite.
The program combines individual coaching with group sessions within an inspiring cultural program, all conducted in a relaxed and nurturing atmosphere. In 2017 the tutors worked with participants on sixteen projects from all over the world.
IDFAcademy Summer School 2018 will take place from 2-7 July.
Entry is closed for this year. A selection will be made in the beginning of May.
The IDFAcademy Summer School is open to:
- Directors making their first or second feature documentary (no film school students).
- Eight projects in the script development phase and eight projects in the rough-cut phase.
- Creative documentary projects.
Script Development is intended to strengthen film projects by working intensively on a strong narrative in the early stages. Participants are encouraged to focus on both their own film projects as well as each other's work.
Script Development focuses on:
- Structuring the initial film idea or concept into a film project with a strong narrative.
- Interweaving different storylines into a solid narrative structure.
- Choosing the main characters – how do they add to your storyline?
- Visualizing the story – how should the camera, sound and editing be used to strengthen the narrative?
Editing Consultancy requires shooting to be near completion and a rough cut ready for the start of the IDFAcademy Summer School. The participants will work intensively with an experienced editor for three to four days, during which time they refine the rough cut, depending on the editing stage at the time of the workshop.
Editing Consultancy focuses on:
- Defining the structure of the film.
- Identifying characters and building the storyline.
- Fine-tuning the film’s rhythm and dramatic structure.
A total of 16 projects will be selected for participation. Filmmakers who are selected have the opportunity to bring a sparring partner: a creative producer or a co-scriptwriter. In the case of participation in Editing Consultancy the filmmaker must bring an editor.
Participants are expected to have a good knowledge of English and to be available for the full duration of the IDFAcademy Summer School.
IDFAcademy aims at a broad division of creative projects. Some of the projects, either for Script Development or Editing Consultancy, will be chosen from projects that have already received a grant from the IDFA Bertha Fund, which supports filmmakers from developing countries.
Projects submitted to the IDFAcademy Summer School 2018 cannot be withdrawn after selection. Selected projects pay a participation fee that must be wired to the indicated IDFA account before May 26, 2018. The participation fee is € 850 for 1 person and € 1.250 for two persons. This fee does not cover travel and food expenses. For international participants accommodation is included. For projects supported by the IDFA Bertha Fund, the Fund will pay the fee, hotel costs and part of the travel costs.
The following information must be included in the entry form:
- A synopsis (400 words max.) and a logline (50 words max);
- A project description, including visual style, description of characters, storyline, background information, etc. (1.500 words max.);
- A clear indication of the stage of development/production, and a tentative production schedule;
- A detailed biography and filmography for the Summer School participant(s) (500 words max.);
- Optional: recommendations from experienced film professionals (film directors, producers, official funding bodies, film schools).
- A personal motivation for attendance that details the (research/production) stage of the project and the goal(s) to be achieved during the Summer School (750 words max).
- Still(s) of your project (if available).
If you are submitting a project for Script Development:
- Previous work (visual material).
- Visual material of the project (if available).
- Please note that if you are selected we will ask you to send us a written update on your progress in the time between submission and selection.
If you are submitting a project for Editing Consultancy:
- Previous work (visual material).
- An edited sequence of the project (20 minutes).
- Please note that the Rough Cut should be ready no later than May 14. If not, we cannot let you enter the program.